Allegany County, located in the mountains of western Maryland, offers access to a wide portfolio of broadband assets and are continually working with our private and public sectors partners to further extend broadband resources.
Providers in our area include but are not limited to:
- Atlantic Broadband
- Maryland Broadband Cooperative Members
- Shentel Communications
- Talkie Communications (slated for Summer 2021)
- TWR Communications
Fast, Reliable and Secure Internet - ALLCONET
Allegany County created an innovative and unique network solution that was arguably the first wireless carrier-grade broadband network in the country. The network is called AllCoNet. Through the development of AllCoNet2/CONXX Platform Network, businesses and residents located in Allegany County enjoy cost-effective, 21st-century wireless communication.
Recent updates to improve quality of service and meet increased need and demand on the system
- Iron's Mountain Backhaul and Knobley North Tower capacity upgrade (Summer/Fall 2020)
- Core router and backhaul capacity upgrades to reduce latency and loss across the network which included upgrading 1 GB radios to 10GB radios. (Summer/Fall 2020)
Broadband expansion projects are currently underway to expand or provide new services in the following communities:
- Ellerslie / Cash Valley - construction of new tower - Summer/Fall 2020
- Flintstone - establishment of new tower and coverage- Fall 2020. Additional coverages and equipment funded in Dec 2020 slated to come online Spring 2021.
- Oldtown / Patterson Creek region - Additional coverages and equipment funded in Dec 2020 slated to come online Spring 2021. Update - Patterson Creek area is now online, additional Oldtown expansion slated for June 2021.
- Mount Savage - additional coverage Spring 2021
We are also pleased to have secured funding to defray the cost of customer-premise equipment to assist in the adoption and affordable access to new technology.